Season's Best BLT
Thick bacon and robust heirloom tomatoes get a kick from a dash of horseradish in the mayo. Artisan bread ramps this sandwich up to meal status.
Servings and Ingredients
|10 slice(s)||Hy-Vee Hickory thick-cut bacon|
|1 loaves||Hy-Vee Bakery grains-of-the-earth bread|
|1 loaves||Hy-Vee Bakery San Francisco sourdough bread|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee sour cream|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee mayonnaise|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee prepared horseradish|
|3||large heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices|
|Hy-Vee kosher salt and black pepper, to taste|
|4||Hy-Vee romaine lettuce leaves|
Things To Grab
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Wire cooling rack
- Silicone pastry brush
- Small bowl
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, and top with a wire cooling rack.
- Place bacon on rack and bake for 20 minutes or until bacon is browned and crispy; reserve drippings.
- Preheat broiler. Cut each loaf of bread horizontally into 1/2-inch slices. Reserve top and bottom of grains bread and center slice of sourdough bread for BLT. Use remaining bread to make a second BLT or reserve for another use. Place BLT bread slices on another baking sheet. Brush bacon grease on bread slices and toast under the broiler for 1 minute. Watch carefully.
- Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise and horseradish in a small bowl. Spread one-third of the horseradish cream on each bread slice. To assemble, top bottom bread slice with half of the tomato slices. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Add half of the bacon, half of the lettuce and the sourdough bread slice. Repeat layers, ending with the top bread slice.
- To serve, secure sandwich with wooden skewers and cut into wedges.
490 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 26g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 1130mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 49g
- Protein: 17g
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 45%