Raspberry Linzer Bars
Based on the Austrian Linzer torte, these bars embrace the nutty and fruity elements of the classic pastry. Fill them with your favorite preserves or marmalade.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. ground Hy-Vee almonds or hazelnuts|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee butter|
|½ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|3 egg yolks, divided|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 (18 oz) jar seedless red raspberry jam|
|1 tbsp. heavy whipping cream|
|Powdered sugar, for dusting|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread ground almonds in a baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once; set aside.
- Line a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Grease foil; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in 2 egg yolks until well combined. Stir in flour and nuts.
- Freeze one-third of dough for 20 minutes. Press remaining dough into prepared pan, pressing onto the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of pan. Spread raspberry jam evenly over dough within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Place chilled dough between two sheets of waxed paper. Roll into slightly larger than a 9-inch square. With a pastry cutter or pizza wheel, cut square into 1/2-inch strips. Lay half of the strips over the jam, spacing evenly over the squares. Lay remaining strips crosswise over first layer of strips. Press ends into the edges of the bottom crust.
- Combine remaining egg yolk and cream; brush pastry strips and crust edges with egg yolk mixture. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling begins to bubble. Cool on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Sift powdered sugar over bars.
270 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 0mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 37g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2015.