The perfect pretzel requires some nifty sleight-of-hand. Dough is twisted over here, tugged up over there. After it is baked, the knot, the dough, the whole thing disappears in a flurry of quick bites.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ½ c.||warm water, (110 to 115 degrees)|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|2 tsp.||kosher salt|
|1||(0.25-oz.) packet active dry yeast|
|4 ½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, melted|
|Hy-Vee vegetable oil|
|⅔ c.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|1||large egg yolk, beaten|
|Pretzel salt, or coarse kosher salt, to taste|
Things To Grab
- In a large mixing bowl, combine water, sugar and kosher salt. Sprinkle the yeast on top of water mixture. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam.
- Add the flour and butter and knead with dough hook on mixer until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Mix beaten egg with water.
Shape pretzels using the following steps:
Related Content, How-To
320 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 490mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 56g
- Protein: 8g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2013.