Plum Streusel Bars
The combination of a rich shortbread crust, sweet plum filling and spiced crumb topping makes for the perfect treat. Use both tart Italian and sweet and juicy black plums for the filling, because the two flavors complement each other so nicely.
Servings and Ingredients
|5 medium plums, pitted and sliced|
|1 c. water|
|1 ⅔ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|2 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided|
|6 tbsp. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|3 tbsp. Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt, divided|
|¾ c. plus 5 tbsp cold Hy-Vee butter, sliced|
|½ c. packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee ground nutmeg|
|½ c. Hy-Vee chopped walnuts|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Bring plums and water to boiling in a Dutch oven; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Return to Dutch oven. Add granulated sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine 1-1/2 cups flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 3/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- For crumb topping, in a large bowl combine remaining 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 5 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour plum filling over hot crust. Spoon crumb topper over filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until topping is set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars.
320 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 15g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 75mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 47g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2015.