New Englanders are on to something special. Adding oysters to Thanksgiving stuffing gives it an extra depth of flavor. It's not strong or overpowering, just a nice background note.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 lbs.||Hy-Vee bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|2||medium onions, finely chopped|
|1 ½ c.||chopped celery|
|1 tbsp.||finely chopped fresh sage or 2 tsp dried sage, crumbled|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|2||(12 oz each) bags Pepperidge Farm stuffing|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, melted|
|2||(8 oz each) cans Chicken of the Sea oysters, drained|
|3||Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee chicken broth, plus additional if needed|
Things To Grab
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 3- to 3-1/2-quart shallow baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon pieces over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add onions, celery, sage, salt and pepper in drippings in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Stir in stuffing, cooked bacon pieces, butter, oysters and eggs.
- Add chicken broth to stuffing mixture. Add additional broth, as necessary, if stuffing seems dry. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake stuffing, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until browned, about 30 minutes more.
410 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 21g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Sodium: 1290mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 36g
- Protein: 19g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 6%
Hy-Vee weekly ad from the week of November 16, 2016