Orange-Glazed Cornish Game Hens
Light and savory, Cornish game hens are similar in taste to chicken. Part of the allure for guests is that each carves his or her own bird.
Servings and Ingredients
|2||(1 1/2-pound each) Cornish hens, thawed|
|½||small orange, quartered|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee orange marmalade|
|4 tsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|2 tsp.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|8 oz.||fresh haricots verts or thin green beans, trimmed|
|8||red pearl onions, halved|
|3 clove(s)||garlic, peeled|
|2 tsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|Hy-Vee salt and black pepper, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Tie drumsticks to the tails using 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Wrap string around breasts, securing wing tips with string. Stuff an orange quarter inside each cavity. Arrange hens, breast-sides up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Place roasting pan on middle rack of oven.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl combine orange marmalade, butter, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on high for 15 to 30 seconds or until butter is melted.
- After 45 minutes of roasting, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Brush orange sauce on hens. Roast 15 to 30 minutes more or until internal temperature of innermost part of thigh, the wing and thickest part of breast is 165 degrees and juices run clear. Remove from oven and cover with foil; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boiling. Add haricots verts, pearl onions and garlic; cook for 3 minutes. Drain in colander and immediately add to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain well.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add haricots verts, onions and garlic. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange vegetable mixture on platter. Top with hens.
1190 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 39g
- Cholesterol: 740mg
- Sodium: 520mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 42g
- Protein: 162g
Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 80%
Hy-Vee Monthly Ad November 2018