Ooey-Gooey Popcorn Balls
If you like Rice Krispy treats and you like popcorn, say hello to Ooey-Gooey Popcorn Balls. During Halloween, orange food coloring can be added to the melted marshmallows so they look like pumpkins. Then press a small piece of black licorice or a candy corn into the top of each popcorn ball as the stem.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 (2.7 oz) bag Orville Redenbacher's SmartPOP! 94% fat free butter microwave popcorn|
|¼ c. butter|
|4 c. miniature marshmallows|
|1 tsp. vanilla extract|
- Prepare popcorn according to package directions. Transfer popped kernels to large heatproof bowl, being careful to remove all unpopped kernels; set aside.
- Place butter in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows; microwave 90 seconds more (marshmallows will appear puffed). Add vanilla and stir well with heatproof spatula.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn; stir to coat. Form popcorn mixture into 2-1/2-inch balls, rolling firmly by hand.
- Cook's Tips
- Feeling festive? Orange food coloring may be added to the melted marshmallows for a Halloween look. Then press a small piece of black licorice or a candy corn into the top of each popcorn ball to mimic a stem on a pumpkin.
- Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls: Add 1/2 cup Hy-Vee dry roasted peanuts to reserved popcorn. Omit vanilla and replace with 1/2 cup Peter Pan creamy peanut butter. Continue with recipe as directed.
130 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 106mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 21g
- Protein: 1g
Vitamin A 3%
Vitamin C 0%
ConAgra Foods, Hy-Vee weekly ad from the week of October 23, 2013.