Mile-High Cranberry-Apple Pie
Grace your holiday dinner table with a deep-dish pie that has an impressive mound of tender, juicy fruit and a melt -in-your-mouth pastry crust.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|½ c.||packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground nutmeg|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground cloves|
|5||medium Granny Smith apples (about 2 pounds)|
|5||medium Braeburn apples (about 2 pounds)|
|1 ½ c.||fresh or frozen cranberries|
|3 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee shortening|
|10 or 12 tbsp ice water|
|Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream, optional|
|Additional Hy-Vee granulated sugar, optional|
|Additional Hy-Vee ground cinnamon, optional|
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- For filling, in a large bowl stir together granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Peel and core apples; cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add apples and cranberries to sugar mixture. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For pastry, in a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of pastry into a 12-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Transfer apple-cranberry filling to pastry-lined plate, mounding filling. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate.
- Roll remaining dough portion into a 12-inch circle. Place pastry circle on filling; trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape.
- If desired, brush top crust with whipping cream and sprinkle with additional sugar and cinnamon. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Place pie on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Continue to bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes more or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. To serve warm, let pie cool at least 2 hours.
660 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 25g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 300mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 105g
- Protein: 6g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 20%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016.