Lightly grease and preheat a waffle baker according to manufacturer's directions.
Whole wheat pastry flour is softer and more finely textured than regular whole wheat flour, resulting in a more tender waffle. Healthy grains and seeds—oats, cornmeal, flaxseeds, and chia seeds—add heartiness while giving these a great nutrition boost.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c. Hy-Vee apple jelly|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee Select 100% pure maple syrup|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 ½ c. whole wheat pastry flour|
|½ c. Hy-Vee quick oats, finely ground|
|1 tbsp. white cornmeal|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee HealthMarket chia seeds|
|2 tsp. flaxseeds|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee skim milk|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee canola oil|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|1 apple, sliced|
Things To Grab
- Hy-Vee nonstick cooking spray
- Waffle baker
- Small saucepan
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer
- Wire rack
- For apple syrup, in a small saucepan combine apple jelly, maple syrup and cinnamon. Heat over low heat until jelly is melted; keep warm and set aside.
- Separate eggs; place yolks in a medium bowl and whites in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, cornmeal, baking powder, chia seeds and flaxseeds. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In bowl with egg yolks, add milk, oil and vanilla. Whisk mixture together to combine well; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight); set aside.
- Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will be slightly lumpy). Gently fold beaten whites evenly into mixture.
Add batter to preheated waffle baker. Close lid quickly and bake according to manufacturer's directions until waffle is golden brown. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid; keep warm in a 200°F oven for up to 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm topped with apple slices and apple syrup.
Hyvee Culinary Expert TipExtra waffles? Not a problem! Cool leftover waffles to room temperature and place in an airtight container or individual plastic bags for freezing. For a quick breakfast pop extra waffles in the toaster.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 180mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 47g
- Protein: 6g