Ice Cream in a Bag
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. skim milk|
|2 tbsp. sugar|
|2 tbsp. non-fat evaporated milk|
|1 tsp. vanilla extract|
|1 quart-size resealable plastic bag|
|1 gallon-size resealable plastic bag|
|4 c. ice (crushed or cubes)|
|⅔ c. salt|
- Combine milk, sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla in a 1-quart resealable plastic bag. Press out all the air and seal tightly. In a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the ice and salt.
- Add the sealed quart-sized bag to the gallon bag.
- Seal the gallon bag. Wrap in a towel, knead and shake for 5 to 7 minutes or until milk mixture is thickened to a soft-serve ice cream texture. Serve immediately.
- After the ice cream has been kneaded and prior to serving, stir in 1 tablespoon of mini chocolate chips.
- Substitute other flavorings for vanilla, such as 1/2 teaspoon mint, coconut or almond extract. These are a bit more “powerful” than vanilla, so start with 1/2 teaspoon and add more, if desired.
- Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons Walden Farms no calorie chocolate syrup.
- Substitute non-fat Greek yogurt for the evaporated milk.
- Substitute soy, almond or coconut milk for skim milk. The mixture will be a little less thick.
- Substitute chocolate milk.