Soup, Chili & Stew
Homemade Chicken and Noodles
Servings and Ingredients
|4 c.||Hy-Vee flour, divided|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
|4||Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee shortening|
|1 to 2 tbsp chicken base|
|Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee pepper, to taste|
|1||whole chicken (about 4 pounds)|
- Combine 3-1/2 cups flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in center of dry mixture. Combine milk, eggs, water and shortening in a separate small bowl. Add to dry mixture, mixing well.
- Lightly flour kneading surface with remaining flour. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion until about 1/16-inch thick. Let stand, uncovered, about 20 minutes. Cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- Transfer noodles to large towel or sheet. Let noodles dry overnight or until completely dry. Transfer dry noodles to an airtight container.
- In a large stockpot, combine water and chicken base; season with salt. Rinse chicken; remove any unwanted organs. Add chicken to water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender and falls off the bone. Remove chicken, reserving broth, and set aside to cool. Cut into bite-size pieces, discarding bones and skin.
- Boil noodles in reserved chicken broth for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add chicken. Season with more chicken base, salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, if desired.
- Test Kitchen Tip: To thicken chicken and noodles, combine cornstarch and cold water, then add to hot mixture until desired consistency is reached.
310 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 11g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 28g
- Protein: 22g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Comfort Foods Cookbook.