Herb butter is one our favorite DIY condiments to cook with. You can also make extra to spread on rolls or melt over potatoes.
Servings and Ingredients
|7 oz.||Baking Stone 100% Whole Grain Bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)|
|6 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter, divided|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|¾ c.||diced celery|
|¾ c.||diced carrots|
|3 clove(s)||garlic, minced|
|2 ½ tbsp.||chopped fresh sage leaves, divided|
|1 tsp.||dried poultry seasoning|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt, divided|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee pepper, divided|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee chicken broth, divided|
|1 ½ tbsp.||chopped fresh thyme|
|1||(10 pound) frozen turkey, thawed (allow at least 24 hours for every 4 pounds)|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee Select maple syrup|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee orange juice|
|1 ½ tbsp.||Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|1 ½ tbsp.||cold water|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- For stuffing, spread bread cubes in single layer on a baking sheet and bake about 15 minutes or until lightly toasted; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic; cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon sage, poultry seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Add bread cubes, tossing to mix thoroughly. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth to moisten; set aside.
- For herb butter, mash together reserved 2 tablespoons butter, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage and fresh thyme; set aside. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper; set aside. For basting liquid, in a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, orange juice and remaining 1/2 cup of the chicken broth; set aside.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Drain juices and pat dry with paper towels. With breast side down, loosely fill neck cavity with stuffing. Flip turkey breast-side-up. Twist wing tips under back. Loosely stuff body cavity with remaining stuffing and return legs to tucked position.
- Place turkey, breast-side-up, in a shallow roasting pan on a flat roasting rack. With your hand, loosen skin from turkey breast and spread butter mixture evenly under skin over breast meat; press down skin from outside to flatten. Brush entire turkey with olive oil; sprinkle with the salt and pepper mixture.
- Roast turkey for 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 hours. Baste turkey with 1/3 of the mixture after every 1 hour interval. To prevent overcooking, loosely cover breast with foil when about two-thirds done. To check for doneness, thigh temperature should be 180 degrees and temperature of center of dressing should be 165 degrees.
- Remove turkey from oven and let stand 15 minutes. Transfer turkey to platter. Pour drippings into a small saucepan. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water; stir into drippings. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve with turkey and stuffing.
450 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 17g
- Cholesterol: 180mg
- Sodium: 460mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 56g
Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 10%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2012.