Hazelnut Chiffon Cake with Mocha Buttercream
Servings and Ingredients
|2 ¼ c.||cake flour|
|1 ½ c.||sugar|
|1 c.||toasted skinned hazelnuts, very finely chopped|
|½ tsp.||baking soda|
|½ c.||vegetable oil|
|1 tbsp.||Spice Islands pure vanilla extract|
|1 ½ tsp.||Spice Islands cream of tartar|
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, nuts, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, egg yolks and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Using electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently stir 1/3 of beaten egg whites into batter; gradually fold remaining egg whites into lightened batter.
- Pour into ungreased 10-cup angel food pan. Bake at 325 degrees F. for 1-1/4 hours or until top of cake springs back when touched. Remove cake from oven and immediately invert onto glass bottle or metal funnel; cool completely.
- Remove cake from pan; frost top and sides with mocha buttercream.
- To make mocha buttercream, beat 3/4 cup butter, softened, until light. Beat in 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Add 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, beating until very light and of spreading consistency.
516 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 29g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Sodium: 355mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 58g
- Protein: 6g