Hasselback potatoes were first introduced in the Hasselbacken Hotel in Stockholm, Sweden. The potatoes are thinly sliced but left joined at the bottom. Create a rustic, yet elegant, dish by oven-roasting the potatoes in a rich cheese sauce. While the inside of the potatoes turn soft and creamy, the outside layers fan out into rounds of crispy bliss.
Servings and Ingredients
|5 slice(s) Hy-Vee bacon|
|½ c. finely chopped shallot|
|6 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 c.)|
|1 (5 oz) container Hy-Vee Select shredded Parmesan cheese|
|2 ½ c. Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream|
|4 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|1 ½ tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped|
|Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|10 medium russet potatoes, peeled (about 6 pounds)|
|Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease two 2-quart baking dishes; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towel. Finely chop bacon; set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Add shallot. Cook and stir over medium heat until shallot is softened.
- In a large bowl, toss together Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses; transfer 1/2 cup cheese to a separate bowl and set aside. Stir whipping cream, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper into cheese mixture. Add shallot; set aside.
- Cut off a thin slice lengthwise from each potato to create an even base for potato to rest on. Carefully cut vertical slits in each potato approximately every 1/8 inch and about three-fourths of the way through each potato.
- Dip each potato in cream mixture, coating well, and place in prepared baking dishes. Pour remaining cream mixture over potatoes. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with bacon and 1/2 cup reserved cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes more or until potatoes are deep golden brown and crisp on top. Remove from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes. If desired, garnish with thyme sprigs.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 17g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 240mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 9g