Fresh Corn Muffins with Bacon and Cheese
Servings and Ingredients
|4||fresh ears of corn or 2 c. frozen Hy-Vee whole kernel corn, thawed|
|5 slice(s)||Hy-Vee bacon|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee flour|
|1 c.||yellow cornmeal|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|2 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|1||(8 oz) container Hy-Vee sour cream|
|¾ c.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
|1||Hy-Vee large egg|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee vegetable oil|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee shredded cheddar cheese|
- If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cobs. Cook fresh corn, covered, in small amount of boiling salted water for 4 minutes or until tender. Drain. Thawed frozen corn does not need to be cooked.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin cups with parchment paper squares, a 3-inch square for mini muffins and 5-inch square for standard-size muffin cups, or spray muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together sour cream, milk, egg, vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon reserved bacon drippings in a small bowl. Add sour cream mixture all at once to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in corn, crumbled bacon and cheese. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling cups 2/3 full.
- Bake about 12 minutes for mini muffins or about 15 minutes for standard-size muffin cups or until lightly browned. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- Note: Freeze extra muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw and warm the cakes in a 325-degree oven for 10 minutes before serving.
170 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 330mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 2%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2010.