Freekeh-Crusted Cod with Sauteed Greens
A vibrant freekeh-and-pecan crust turns ordinary fish fillets into a weeknight feast. Accompany the fish with a simple side of sautéed spinach and kale.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ¼ c. water|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee salt, divided|
|½ c. uncooked whole freekeh|
|½ c. Hy-Vee pecans, finely chopped|
|½ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee ground black pepper, divided|
|1 ½ lbs. fresh cod, about 1/2-inch thick|
|1 tbsp. Gustare Vita olive oil|
|½ c. red onion, chopped|
|4 oz. fresh kale, destemmed and chopped|
|4 oz. baby spinach leaves|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee garlic powder|
|Lemon wedges, for serving|
Things To Grab
- Medium saucepan with lid
- 3 shallow dishes
- Large baking sheet
- Hy-Vee nonstick cooking spray
- Large skillet
- In a saucepan, combine water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to boiling. Add freekeh. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Transfer freekeh to a shallow dish. Cool for 20 minutes. Stir in pecans.
- Preheat broiler. Grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- Place flour and eggs in separate shallow dishes. Rinse fish; pat dry. Sprinkle fish with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat fillets with flour, then eggs, and finally the freekeh mixture. Transfer fish to prepared baking sheet.
- Broil for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until onions are softened. Add kale and spinach to skillet. Using tongs, turn to coat. Sprinkle with garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve fish with greens and lemon wedges.
430 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 17g
- Cholesterol: 175mg
- Sodium: 1170mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 37g
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 70%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2015.