Family-Pleasing Sausage Lasagna
Servings and Ingredients
|9||uncooked whole grain lasagna noodles|
|1||(15 oz) can Hy-Vee crushed tomatoes|
|1||(6 oz) can Hy-Vee tomato paste|
|1 tbsp.||salt, herb and spice blend, such as Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee dried thyme|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee dried basil|
|1 tbsp.||dried minced garlic|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee ground sage|
|Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|1 lbs.||mild Italian turkey sausage|
|1||Hy-Vee large egg|
|1||(15 oz) container whole milk ricotta cheese|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee shredded Parmesan cheese, divided|
|3 c.||Hy-Vee shredded mozzarella cheese, divided|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water; drain and set aside.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt blend, thyme, basil, garlic and sage. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet cook turkey sausage until brown. Drain. Stir turkey sausage into sauce and simmer sauce for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; set aside.
- For ricotta mixture, in a medium bowl combine egg, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups sauce in bottom of an ungreased 9-by-13-inch metal pan. Top with three noodles. Dot with half of ricotta mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 cup Parmesan and 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Spread 1 cup sauce on top. Repeat layering noodles, remaining half of ricotta mixture and 1/3 cup each Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Spread 1 cup sauce over top. Layer remaining noodles over sauce; sprinkle with 1/3 cup Parmesan and 1/3 cup mozzarella cheeses. Dot remaining sauce over top.
- Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake for 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- For individual portions: Transfer single serving portion to storage containers. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator, if frozen. Reheat in the microwave.
- To refrigerate or freeze unbaked: Cover pan with foil and label. Place remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese in a resealable freezer bag and attach to dish. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- To reheat, thaw in refrigerator, if frozen. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until heated through. Remove foil and sprinkle reserved 1 cup mozzarella cheese over top. Bake for 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
350 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 980mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 27g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 10%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2016, Reciplease! on HSTV.com