Family-Pleasing Sausage Lasagna
Invite family and friends to the table for this family-style dish. You can prep it up to three days in advance and bake it just before the gang arrives.
For more recipes like this, watch Reciplease! on HSTV.com.
Servings and Ingredients
|9 uncooked whole grain lasagna noodles|
|1 (15 oz) can Hy-Vee crushed tomatoes|
|1 (6 oz) can Hy-Vee tomato paste|
|1 c. water|
|1 tbsp. salt, herb and spice blend, such as Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee dried thyme|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee dried basil|
|1 tbsp. dried minced garlic|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee ground sage|
|Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|1 lbs. mild Italian turkey sausage|
|1 Hy-Vee large egg|
|1 (15 oz) container whole milk ricotta cheese|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee shredded Parmesan cheese, divided|
|3 c. Hy-Vee shredded mozzarella cheese, divided|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water; drain and set aside.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt blend, thyme, basil, garlic and sage. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet cook turkey sausage until brown. Drain. Stir turkey sausage into sauce and simmer sauce for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; set aside.
- For ricotta mixture, in a medium bowl combine egg, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups sauce in bottom of an ungreased 9-by-13-inch metal pan. Top with three noodles. Dot with half of ricotta mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 cup Parmesan and 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Spread 1 cup sauce on top. Repeat layering noodles, remaining half of ricotta mixture and 1/3 cup each Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Spread 1 cup sauce over top. Layer remaining noodles over sauce; sprinkle with 1/3 cup Parmesan and 1/3 cup mozzarella cheeses. Dot remaining sauce over top.
- Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake for 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- For individual portions: Transfer single serving portion to storage containers. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator, if frozen. Reheat in the microwave.
- To refrigerate or freeze unbaked: Cover pan with foil and label. Place remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese in a resealable freezer bag and attach to dish. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- To reheat, thaw in refrigerator, if frozen. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until heated through. Remove foil and sprinkle reserved 1 cup mozzarella cheese over top. Bake for 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
350 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 980mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 27g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 10%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2016, Reciplease! on HSTV.com