Double Chocolate Chunk Biscotti
The secret to a perfectly-shaped and crispy biscotti is to brush the dough with egg white and water before the first bake.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter|
|1 c. plus 1 tbsp Hy-Vee granulated sugar, divided|
|2 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 Hy-Vee large egg, separated|
|2 ¾ c. Hy-Vee flour|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee cocoa powder|
|2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped|
|1 tsp. water|
- Cream butter in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup sugar and baking powder. Beat until combined well.
- Beat in 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk, reserving the egg white.
- Beat in as much flour as possible with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour, cocoa powder and chocolate with spoon.
- Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into an 11-by-2-by-1-inch loaf. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Stir together the reserved egg white and water; brush on dough. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on sheet for 15 minutes.
- Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch slices and place cut-side-down on lined sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove and turn slices over; bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until crisp.
- Remove biscotti to wire rack to cool completely.
100 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 55mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2011.