Cranberry Coffee Cake
An edible centerpiece for a brunch, this cranberry-infused coffee cake can be made with fresh or frozen cranberries.
Servings and Ingredients
|Hy-Vee vegetable shortening, for greasing|
|3 c. plus 1 tablespoon Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|¾ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee skim milk|
|6 tbsp. Hy-Vee canola oil|
|1 tbsp. orange zest|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|3 c. fresh or frozen cranberries|
|1 (12 ounce) jar Hy-Vee orange marmalade|
|1 c. fresh or frozen cranberries|
|2 c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|3 to 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice|
|Sugared Cranberries, for garnish|
|Additional orange zest, for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan with vegetable shortening and 1 tablespoon flour; set aside.
- For cake, in a large bowl combine 3 cups flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in center; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly; stir in milk, oil, orange zest and vanilla. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; batter should be slightly lumpy. In a medium bowl, toss 3 cups cranberries with remaining 1 tablespoon flour until coated. Fold coated cranberries into batter. Spoon 2 3/4 cups batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- For filling, in a small bowl combine marmalade and 1 cup cranberries; spread evenly in center of batter in pan. Spoon remaining batter on top, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Just before serving, in a small bowl combine powdered sugar and enough orange juice for icing consistency. Spread over cake. If desired, garnish with Sugared Cranberries and orange zest.
- Sugared Cranberries: In a medium saucepan, bring ½ cup Hy-Vee granulated sugar and ½ cup water to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, just until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in ½ cup fresh cranberries. Refrigerate until berries are cool. Drain well and toss berries with ½ cup superfine sugar. Transfer berries to waxed paper to dry.
- Cranberry-Orange Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 17 (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups with Hy-Vee vegetable shortening and Hy-Vee all-purpose flour. Or line muffin cups with paper liners. Prepare batter as directed; spoon into muffin cups, filling each half full. Drop a generous teaspoonful of orange marmalade into the center of each muffin. Spoon remaining batter on top, filling each muffin cup to the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. Prepare icing as directed in Step 5 and spread over cupcakes.
390 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 180mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 80g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 8%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016