Corn-Crab Cakes with Chipotle Cream
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. Hy-Vee mayonnaise, divided|
|½ c. Hy-Vee sour cream|
|1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee lemon juice|
|⅛ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|4 fresh ears of corn or 2 cups Hy-Vee frozen whole kernel corn, thawed|
|3 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, divided|
|¼ c. finely chopped onion|
|¼ c. finely chopped green bell pepper|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs, beaten|
|1 tbsp. stone-ground mustard|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|¼ to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper|
|1 ⅓ c. Hy-Vee plain bread crumbs, divided|
|12 oz. lump crab meat|
|¼ c. cornmeal|
- For chipotle cream, stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, sour cream, chipotle peppers, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cobs. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet. Add corn, onion and bell pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until onions and peppers are soft. Cool 10 minutes.
- Stir together eggs, remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Stir in cooled corn, onion and peppers. Gently fold in 2/3 cup bread crumbs and crab meat. Chill mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- To make jumbo corn-crab cakes, using a 1/2-cup measuring cup, shape crab meat mixture into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. To make mini corn-crab cakes, using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, shape crab meat mixture into 16 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Place on baking sheet and chill patties 10 minutes for easier handling.
- Stir together remaining 2/3 cup bread crumbs and cornmeal in a 9-inch pie plate. Dip patties into crumb mixture, turning to coat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes per side for jumbo cakes and 3 to 4 minutes for mini cakes. Repeat using remaining tablespoon butter and remaining patties. Serve with chipotle cream.
450 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 32g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Sodium: 640mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 29g
- Protein: 13g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 10%
adapted from Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2010.