Cinnamon Roll Apple Scones
Apples, cinnamon rolls, and scones all in one dessert. It doesn't get much better than this.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c.||Hy-Vee quick-cooking oats|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee whole wheat flour|
|1 tbsp.||ground flaxseed|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee ground Saigon cinnamon, divided|
|⅛ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground nutmeg|
|3 tbsp.||plus 1 tsp Hy-Vee butter, divided|
|2||Hy-Vee large eggs, divided|
|¼ c.||plus 1 tbsp Hy-Vee granulated sugar, divided|
|2 tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|1||medium apple, cored and chopped|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee slivered almonds, toasted and finely chopped|
|1 tbsp.||packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|1 to 2 tsp Hy-Vee milk|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place oats in blender or food processor. Cover and blend until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in all-purpose and whole wheat flours, flaxseed, baking powder, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat 1 egg. Add buttermilk, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and vanilla. Stir in apple and almonds. Add all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or just until dough holds together. Divide dough into 8 portions. Pat each portion into a 3-by-2-inch rectangle. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat remaining egg; brush onto scones. In another small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle on scones.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly on baking sheet.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 teaspoon butter. Stir in powdered sugar and enough milk to make icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over scones.
- To store: Place iced scones in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw at room temperature.
330 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 400mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 57g
- Protein: 7g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 2%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2015.