Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake
Servings and Ingredients
|2 ¼ c.||all-purpose flour|
|1 ½ c.||sugar|
|½ c.||unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 tsp.||baking soda|
|½ c.||unsweetened applesauce|
|1 tbsp.||oil, preferably canola|
|1 tsp.||vanilla extract|
|2 c.||grated unpeeled zucchini (about 2-1/2 medium zucchini)|
|⅔ c.||mini chocolate chips, divided|
|½ c.||chopped walnuts|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, applesauce, oil and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed for 1 minute.
- Add buttermilk mixture and beat until blended.
- Combine egg white mixture and flour/cocoa mixture and beat until blended.
- Mix in grated zucchini and 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 c. chips and nuts over batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely, in the pan, on a wire rack.
Healthy Homestyle Desserts by Evelyn Tribole