Chocolate Mint Angel Cake
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ⅓ c.||cool water|
|1||(16 oz) pkg Hy-Vee angel food cake mix|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee baking cocoa|
|2||(2.8 oz each) boxes Nestle milk chocolate mousse mix|
|1 ⅓ c.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
|½ tsp.||mint extract|
|1 c.||chocolate fudge spoonable ice cream topping, divided|
|10||Andes mints, unwrapped and chopped|
- Move oven rack to lowest position.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour 1-1/3 cups water into large mixing bowl. Sprinkle egg white (package A) over water. Blend 1 minute on low speed until egg whites are completely moistened. Beat at high speed until very stiff peaks form when beater is raised, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour mixture (package B) and baking cocoa, one-fourth at a time, over egg whites. Fold gently using wire whip or slotted spoon.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-by-4-inch tube pan. Cut gently through batter with knife to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool the cake by turning pan upside down. Hang on bottle to allow circulation of air under cake.
- Loosen cake from tube and sides of pan using knife or spatula with up-and-down strokes. Gently remove cake.
- With a serrated knife, cut the angel food cake into 3 horizontal layers.
- Prepare the chocolate mousse mixes according to package directions using 1-1/3 cups skim milk and 1/2 teaspoon mint extract for the liquid called for on packages.
- To assemble cake, place bottom of one split layer on serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup chocolate fudge ice cream topping. Spread about 1/2 cup of the mousse mixture over the fudge topping. Repeat with second cake layer (cake layer, then fudge topping, then mousse). Frost top and sides of cake with remaining mousse mixture. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with chopped mints before serving.
250 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 50g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%