Chocolate Chunk Pavlova with Spiced Whipped Cream and Red Berries
Servings and Ingredients
|5 egg whites, at room temperature|
|¼ tsp. salt|
|1 ¼ c. superfine granulated sugar|
|4 tsp. cornstarch|
|1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar|
|1 tsp. vanilla|
|½ (3.5 oz) bar Zoet milk chocolate, chopped|
|½ (3.5 oz) bar Zoet dark chocolate, chopped|
|Spiced Whipped Cream:|
|1 c. heavy cream|
|3 tbsp. superfine granulated sugar|
|1 tsp. vanilla|
|½ tsp. ground cinnamon|
|2 c. sliced strawberries|
|2 c. raspberries|
|2 tsp. confectioner's sugar|
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; grease well.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy; add salt. Increase speed to high; beat until soft peaks start to form. Gradually add superfine sugar, beating until glossy, stiff peaks form. Sift cornstarch evenly over top. Fold in vinegar and vanilla. Gently fold in chopped chocolate.
- Spoon onto prepared pan, shaping and swirling into 10-inch round. Using a large spoon or spatula, make 1/2-inch deep well in the center, leaving 2-inch border all around.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 250 degrees; bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until outside is crisp and dry but still pale white. Turn off oven; let stand for 1 hour. Remove from oven; let cool completely.
- To make Spiced Whipped Cream, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Stir in sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, chili powder and nutmeg.
- Just before serving, top cooled pavlova with whipped cream and berries. Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.
- Use all dark or all milk chocolate, if desired.
- Pavlovas are best made on dry days rather than on humid days, as high moisture in the air can affect the success of meringues.
- To whip egg whites to glossy, stiff peaks, ensure that the whites are free of egg yolks when separating eggs. Use a small bowl, for separating eggs one at a time, and then transfer to larger bowl with remaining egg whites. Also, use a clean and dry grease-free bowl when whipping egg whites. Stainless steel, copper or glass bowls work best.
290 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 100mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 43g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 45%