Chocolate Beet Cupcakes
Although you can't taste them, the beets in these cakes play an important role in making them moist and rich. Reserve some of the beet cooking liquid to naturally dye the butter icing pink.
Servings and Ingredients
|2||medium beets, trimmed|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|⅔ c.||unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder|
|1 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|⅛ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|3||Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 ¼ c.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee canola oil|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee plain Greek yogurt|
|1 ¼ c.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, softened|
|6 c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
- In a large saucepan, cover beets with 2 inches water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup beet liquid to use in butter icing. Cool slightly. Peel beets, coarsely chop and place in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth. (You should have 2/3 cup beet puree.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, oil and yogurt. Stir in 2/3 cup pureed beets. Stir in flour mixture. Fill muffin cups half to two-thirds full with batter.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For butter icing, in a medium mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in the milk and 2 tablespoons reserved beet juice. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Beat in additional beet juice, if needed, until frosting reaches piping consistency. Pipe icing onto cupcakes. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
400 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 22g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 95mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 51g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2015.