Cherry Icebox Cookies
Maraschino cherry juice and toasted walnuts go together like cookies and milk in these festive treats.
Servings and Ingredients
|¾ c.||Hy-Vee butter, softened|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|1||Hy-Vee large egg|
|¼ c.||maraschino cherry juice|
|½ c.||maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped|
|3 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 c.||chopped toasted walnuts|
- In a medium bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, cherry juice and chopped cherries. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half; shape into two 10-inch long logs. Roll logs in chopped walnuts. Wrap each log in plastic wrap.* Chill for 4 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 7 to 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.
- *Note: A great way to refrigerate the cookie rolls so they keep their shape is to use paper towel cardboard tubes. Cut the tubes down the middle, place the wrapped cookie dough rolls in them and give the tube a few rolls to form dough into a nice roll. The cardboard tubes keep the rolls from getting a flat side.
50 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 10mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 6g
- Protein: 1g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2014.