Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. red wine, use wine that you enjoy drinking|
|1 c. beef broth|
|¼ c. Worcestershire sauce|
|1 (6 oz) can tomato paste|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 (4 lb) boneless beef chuck roast|
|¼ c. all-purpose unbleached flour|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2 tbsp. vegetable oil|
|4 large carrots, peeled and cut into quarters|
|4 celery ribs, trimmed and cut into quarters|
|2 large onions, peeled and cut into large bite-size pieces|
|2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into large bite-size pieces|
|2 large garlic cloves, finely minced|
|8 red B-sized potatoes, washed and cut in half|
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Combine wine, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and bay leaf; set aside.
- Dredge both sides of the pot roast in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Add oil to a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat. When oil is very hot, add the pot roast and sear for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until well-browned. Transfer the pot roast to the roasting pan.
- Place half the vegetables in the same hot sauté pan and cook until they just start to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Arrange vegetables around the pot roast. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- Turn off heat and add wine mixture. Stir well, scraping up the bits of meat and vegetable that may be left on the bottom and sides of the pan. This will increase the flavor and raise the yum factor.
- Pour wine mixture over vegetables and place covered roasting pan into preheated oven for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Serve with crusty ciabatta bread and a ‘big’ Merlot and the next stop will be paradise! Enjoy!
480 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 20g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Sodium: 420mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 41g
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 30%
Chef Gary Puetz, Hy-Vee Seasons Women's 2008.