Cheesesteak Jalapeno Poppers (Get Cooking)
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tbsp.||olive oil|
|1||(12 oz) pkg raw sliced sirloin beef for Philly steak with seasoning packet, such as Pepperjax|
|½||yellow onion, finely chopped|
|1 clove(s)||garlic, minced|
|8 oz.||whipped cream cheese|
|8 oz.||Hy-Vee shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese blend|
|4 oz.||Hy-Vee shredded chipotle cheddar cheese|
|12||jalapenos, cut in half lengthwise and seeded|
|3 c.||panko breadcrumbs|
|Oil, for frying|
|Salt, as needed|
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat.
- Brown beef with seasoning packet.
- Add onion and garlic; saute until soft. Set aside and cool.
- In a bowl, stir together cream cheese, shredded cheeses and beef mixture.
- Use a spoon fill the jalapeno halves with the beef mixture and refrigerate until set.
- Set up a breading station; place flour, milk, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate bowls.
- Dip each jalapeno half in milk, then flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs. Continue until all are breaded.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a large pot over medium heat, about 360 degrees.
- Fry poppers in batches being careful not to overcrowd the pot or fryer until deep golden-brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from fryer, drain on paper towels, season with salt and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Chef Andrew from Ankeny #1, KCCI-TV recipe, October 21, 2016.