Chai-Almond Biscotti with Lemon Icing
These Italian-inspired almond biscotti are the perfect gift for coffee and tea drinkers.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 ¾ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 tbsp. loose chai tea from 3 Hy-Vee chai tea bags|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|1 ½ tsp. freshly grated lemon peel|
|3 Hy-Vee large eggs, beaten well|
|6 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, melted and slightly cooled|
|1 c. chopped Hy-Vee almonds|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, chai tea, baking powder and salt. Stir in lemon peel. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Place eggs in the well and stir into flour mixture. Add butter and continue stirring until dough starts to form a ball. Stir in nuts (dough will be crumbly). Use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into two portions. Shape each portion into an 8-inch-long roll. Place rolls about 3 inches apart on baking sheet; flatten to 1 inch high.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until firm and light brown. Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheets on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Transfer rolls to cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until crisp and golden brown.
- Dip tops of cooled biscotti in Lemon Icing. Let stand until icing sets.
- Lemon Icing: Combine 1 cup Hy-Vee confectioner’s sugar, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel to make an icing of dipping consistency.
170 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 115mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 26g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 2%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2010.