Brie, a soft cow's-milk cheese, is named after the district in France where it originated. Its outer rind is meant to be eaten; it enhances the nutty, earthy flavor and character of the cheese. Plank grilling adds a kiss of smokiness while the cheese turns soft, warm and melty. Pair with a Belgian Gueuze beer or Chenin Blanc wine.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 cedar plank|
|1 loaves baguette-style French bread|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee Select extra-virgin olive oil|
|2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|½ c. Hy-Vee apricot preserves|
|1 (8 oz) wheel Brie cheese, at room temperature|
|1 peach, pitted and sliced|
|1 plum, pitted and sliced|
|¼ tsp. sea salt|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee black pepper|
|Fresh thyme sprigs|
- Soak cedar plank in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice baguette diagonally into sixteen 1/4-inch slices.
- For herb oil, in a small bowl combine olive oil, thyme and garlic; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat preserves until melted; cover and keep warm.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat over direct heat. Place plank on grill. Cover grill and preheat plank for about 5 minutes, turning once. Preheating the plank allows it to begin releasing smoke and flavor.
- Place Brie on preheated plank. Brush with some of the melted preserves. Arrange peach and plum slices on grill grate around plank. Cover and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until fruit slices are slightly charred, turning once. Arrange a few slices of peaches and plums on top of Brie. Add remaining fruit slices to plank around Brie. Brush remaining melted preserves over fruit.
- Cover and grill for 10 to 15 minutes more or until Brie is melted. Remove plank from grill. Let stand while grilling toasts.
- For toasts, lightly brush baguette slices with herb oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place baguette slices on grill rack over direct heat. Grill for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden on both sides, turning once. Remove from grill.
- Serve melted Brie on toasts; top with fruit.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 15g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 33g
- Protein: 9g