Bread and Butter Pickles
Servings and Ingredients
|2 lbs. small pickling cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick|
|1 large onion, thinly sliced|
|½ c. chopped sweet red pepper|
|2 tbsp. pickling salt|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee apple cider vinegar|
|2 tsp. mustard seed|
|½ tsp. celery seed|
|½ tsp. turmeric|
|⅛ tsp. ground cloves|
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine cucumbers, onion and red pepper. Sprinkle with pickling salt. Cover with a 2-inch layer of crushed ice or ice cubes. Let stand at room temperature 3 hours.
- Drain cucumber mixture in colander; do not rinse. Set cucumber mixture aside.
- Add sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric and cloves to saucepan or Dutch oven. Add cucumber mixture. Bring to boiling; remove from heat.
- With a slotted spoon, fill sterilized jars with pickle mixture. Ladle hot liquid into jars leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.
25 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 250mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 6g
- Protein: 0g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2012.