Bittersweet Chocolate Bourbon Balls
The bold, spicy flavor of this no-bake confection is sure to please any bourbon lover. Chilling the crumb mixture for 30 minutes makes it easier to shape into balls.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. chopped Hy-Vee walnuts|
|2 c. chocolate cookie crumbs or 26 chocolate sandwich cookies with cream removed, crushed|
|½ c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee unsweetened cocoa powder|
|½ c. bourbon|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee bittersweet chocolate baking chips|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee shortening|
- To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place nuts on a baking sheet and bake about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant, stirring frequently. Cool completely.
- Grind nuts in a nut grinder or pulse in a food processor just until finely ground, being careful not to overprocess.
- In a medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs, ground walnuts, powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add bourbon, stirring until combined.
- Shape mixture into 3/4-inch balls. (Moisten your hands with cold water to prevent sticking.) Cover; chill 8 hours or overnight.
- For coating,* melt bittersweet chocolate and shortening. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Dip bourbon balls into melted chocolate mixture. Place on prepared baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Transfer balls to an airtight container. Chill for up to one week.
- *Note: As an alternate coating to melted chocolate, roll balls in unsweetened cocoa powder.
60 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 25mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 6g
- Protein: 1g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2014.