Chef's Tip: Add an egg and bake in muffin tins for a crunchy top and individual servings.
Servings and Ingredients
|12 oz.||Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|6 slice(s)||Hy-Vee whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|1||(14.5 oz) can Hy-Vee 33%-less-sodium chicken broth, divided|
|1 ½ c.||chopped celery|
|1 ¼ c.||chopped onion|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee butter|
|1 ½ tsp.||poultry seasoning, or to taste|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee ground black pepper|
|hot water, as needed|
- Spread bread cubes on rimmed baking sheets and set aside to dry out overnight.*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Place bread cubes in large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup chicken broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Set remaining chicken broth aside.
- Add celery, onions and butter to saucepan.** Simmer until onions and celery are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour over bread cubes and stir to coat. Gradually add remaining chicken broth and stir until evenly moistened. If desired, stir in enough hot water so bread cubes are moistened. Spread in prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until heated through and top is crusty. Serve hot.
- *If desired, dry bread in a 170-degree oven, checking every 5 minutes. Do not let bread brown.
- **Variation: Stir uncooked onions and celery into bread cubes. Melt butter into chicken broth and stir into bread cubes. Add hot water, if necessary. Bake as directed.
140 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 490mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 23g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 2%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2012.