A flaky homemade fried dough is the perfect carrier for this sweet, salty, and savory beef mixture. You'll love the combination of cinnamon, olives, vegetables and beef.
Servings and Ingredients
|3 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ c. lard or Hy-Vee shortening, chilled|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|¾ c. cold water|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee cooking oil|
|⅔ c. Hy-Vee stuffed manzanilla olives, finely chopped|
|½ c. onion, finely chopped|
|½ c. green bell pepper, finely chopped|
|½ c. red bell pepper, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced|
|1 lbs. 93% lean ground beef|
|1 c. Hy-Vee tomato sauce|
|1 tbsp. sherry vinegar|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee ground cumin|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|½ c. finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese|
|Vegetable oil, for deep-fat frying|
Things To Grab
- Food processor
- Large skillet
- 3 1/2-inch round cookie cutter
- Heavy saucepan
- Wire cooling rack
- For dough, place flour, lard and salt in a food processor. Process until mixture is crumbly. Slowly add water and continue to process until a dough forms. Shape dough into a ball. Place in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For filling, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add olives, onion, peppers and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until brown, breaking up larger chunks. Drain. Return mixture to skillet. Add tomato sauce, vinegar, cumin and cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Roll out dough 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut circles of dough, using a 3-1/2-inch round cutter. Spoon 1 rounded tbsp filling onto each circle; top with 1 tsp cheese. Holding one filled circle in hand, use fingertip to lightly moisten the dough edges with water and press filling to gently compact. Fold dough in half around filling and pinch edges tightly to form a seal. Repeat with remaining dough circles.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat to 350 degrees. Fry empanadas, a few at a time, about 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning as needed to cook evenly. Drain on wire racks. Serve warm.
- Note: Nutrition facts cannot be calculated accurately for fried foods.