From brown speckled to almost black, very ripe bananas are the best choice for breads due to their time-enhanced sweetness and soft texture. A sprinkling of sugar forms a crackly top crust.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|¾ tsp. Hy-Vee baking soda|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|6 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter, melted and cooled slightly|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee packed brown sugar|
|3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 c.)|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee plain Greek yogurt|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|¾ c. chopped Hy-Vee walnuts, toasted*|
|1 medium banana, diagonally sliced 1/8-inch thick|
|3 tbsp. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together butter and brown sugar until blended. Stir in mashed bananas, eggs, yogurt and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and nuts. Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan.
- Arrange banana slices, overlapping slightly, in a line down long sides of pan. Sprinkle granulated sugar over bananas and batter.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- *Note: To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place nuts on a baking sheet and bake about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant, stirring frequently.
290 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 11g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 43g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 6%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2014.