Baby Back Ribs with Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce
A few racks of ribs on the grill is sure to turn a hungry crowd into a happy crowd. Just remember to put out extra napkins.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ½ tbsp.||Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee dried minced garlic|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee ground oregano|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|3||(2 1/2-pounds each) racks baby back pork ribs, membrane removed if desired|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|1 c.||finely chopped onion|
|1||(12 oz) can Dr. Pepper (not diet)|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee ketchup|
|½ c.||packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee tomato paste|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee honey|
|1 tsp.||grated fresh ginger|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|¼ tsp.||cayenne pepper|
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking over low heat (300 degrees).
- In a small bowl, for rub combine 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, garlic, oregano and black pepper. Season ribs all over with rub mixture. Let ribs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Place rib racks, bone sides down, on grill rack over indirect heat side. Grill for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, heat oil in a medium saucepan. Sauté onion about 10 minutes or until fragrant. Add Dr. Pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, honey, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Purée sauce in pan with immersion blender, or transfer in batches to a blender; cover and blend until smooth; set aside.
- Tear off 3 sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil, each about 2-1/2 times the length of a slab of ribs. After 2 hours of grilling, remove ribs from grill and lay each slab on a sheet of foil. Be sure to close the grill lid so temperature remains at 300 degrees. Lightly brush each slab of ribs with prepared sauce on both sides and wrap tightly in foil.
- Return slabs to grill. Grill for 30 to 60 minutes more or until ribs are done, when meat has shrunk back from the bones by 1/4 inch or more. Remove slabs from foil. Serve with remaining sauce.
1130 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 73g
- Cholesterol: 295mg
- Sodium: 2150mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 38g
- Protein: 82g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 8%
Hy-Vee Seasons, Hy-Vee weekly ad from the week of September 9, 2015.