An aromatic arugula, herb and jalapeño sauce drizzled over freshly cut avocado gives this appetizer its bold flavor. Avocados are high in fat—the good kind—and rich in fiber and potassium.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c.||packed arugula leaves|
|½ c.||packed basil leaves|
|¼ c.||packed parsley leaves|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select extra-virgin olive oil|
|½||jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped*|
|2||cloves garlic, minced, divided|
|½ tsp.||plus 1 tbsp lime juice, divided|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|5 slice(s)||whole-grain sprout bread, quartered|
|3||avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced|
|Red pepper flakes, to taste|
- In a food processor, combine arugula, basil, parsley, olive oil, jalapeno pepper, 1 clove garlic and 1/2 teaspoon lime juice. Cover and process until smooth; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and remaining minced garlic. Arrange bread quarters on a large rimmed baking sheet; brush with garlic butter. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, toss avocado slices with 1 tablespoon lime juice. Arrange avocado slices on toasted bread. Place arugula mixture in a resealable plastic bag. Snip one corner and drizzle over avocado toasts. If desired, sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Serve immediately.
- *Note: Chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn skin and eyes. When working with chile peppers, wear protective gloves.
90 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 40mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 7g
- Protein: 2g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 8%
Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2015.