Soup, Chili & Stew
Autumn Pumpkin Soup
Servings and Ingredients
|4||whole small pie pumpkins|
|1||small onion, diced|
|1 tbsp.||walnut oil|
|1 tbsp.||chopped fresh sage|
|1||(32 oz) carton Hy-Vee reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee pepper, to taste|
|Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the top fourth off pumpkins; discard lids. Remove and discard seeds and pulp.
- Bake the pumpkins, cut-side down, on lightly oiled baking sheets 50 to 60 minutes, or until tender.
- When pumpkins are cool enough to handle, scrape flesh from inside of pumpkin; discard outer shell.
- In a large stock-pot, heat onion in walnut oil over medium-low heat until softened. Add sage and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and reserved pumpkin flesh. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree pumpkin mixture using hand immersion blender until desired consistency. Add water to thin soup if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Variation: Reserve hallowed pumpkins to serve soup in.