What’s for dinner tonight? Dinner at home. A growing trend for the evening meal is that more and more families are choosing to prepare and eat meals at home. Reasons for the return of home-cooked meals include family time, budget and wholesome meals.
Meal Time is Family Time
Preparing and eating meals together as a family has real value – for family relationships and children’s success. It provides quality time for conversations, passing on traditions and strengthening the family. Studies show teens who eat frequent meals at home are at decreased risk for substance abuse and do better in school.
The current economy and rising costs have people re-thinking meals prepared at home as a way to save money. People are taking advantage of private-label store-brands, ad specials and buying in bulk as ways to keep on track with budgets.
When meals are prepared at home, you have more control over the personal preference of family members, along with the nutrient content of that meal. Home-cooked meals tend to have higher intakes of fruits, vegetables and dairy products. And portions are more easily controlled.
Comfort foods are making a big comeback for meal times. Grandma’s pot roast or mom’s mac and cheese bring back warm memories and are finding their way back to the table for meals.
A new item to consider for dinnertime is the 100%-natural beef products from Hy-Vee. Angus Reserve 100% Natural Beef is 100% natural, non-enhanced, making the beef a wholesome product for mealtime recipes. Try this tasty beef recipe for dinner tonight; it will become a family favorite.
Peppered Steak Salad with Balsamic-Parmesan Dressing
All you need:
- 1 (10 oz) Hy-Vee Angus Reserve 100% natural beef sirloin steak
- Coarsely ground Hy-Vee black pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free balsamic vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp Hy-Vee shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 (12 oz) pkg Hy-Vee American salad blend
- 1 Hy-Vee large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Hy-Vee croutons, optional
All you do:
- Season steak with black pepper. Grill to desired doneness. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Meanwhile, combine balsamic vinaigrette with Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Arrange one-fourth of the salad blend in each of 4 salad bowls. Top with strips of steak, egg slices and halved cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Sprinkle with croutons, if desired.
Nutrition facts per serving: 200 calories, 10g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 80mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g sugar, 19g protein.
Daily values: 70% vitamin A, 20% vitamin C, 10% calcium, 10% iron.
Talk to a Hy-Vee dietitian for more information. The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.