Fresh berries are in season and strawberries are the crowd favorite. With a sweet scent and bright color, strawberries are appetizing and versatile in many dishes.
In addition to adding a bust of color to any dish, strawberries provide many healthy nutrients. The majority of phytochemicals in strawberries are flavonoids, which give berries their bright colors, and are shown to have health benefits for the heart, preventing cancer and supporting cognitive function. Strawberries are also a great source of vitamin C which helps support a strong, healthy immune system, and potassium which may help lower blood pressure. Other nutrients in strawberries include fiber which increases the feeling of satiety (fullness) and folate to prevent birth defects.
Strawberries can fit anyone’s taste; they are naturally sweet, but adding a splash of balsamic vinegar or piece of blue cheese will give strawberries a more tart flavor.
Add strawberries to your Mother’s Day celebrations:
- Prepare mom a delicious breakfast with fresh strawberry slices over warm oatmeal
- Prepare Strawberries and Blue Cheese Bruschetta and serve as an afternoon snack or at a picnic
- Purchase chocolate-covered strawberries at your Hy-Vee for an easy dessert
- Ask your Hy-Vee dietitian how to make strawberry shortcake in a Mason jar – an activity for kids and dads to make a special treat for mom
Treating mom to the strawberries is a great way to say thanks for all she does and show how much she is loved.
When choosing strawberries, look for shiny, firm berries with a bright red color. Be sure to store strawberries in the refrigerator and wash right before eating.
Strawberries and Blue Cheese Bruschetta
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
All you need
- 12 medium strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 to 2 tsp water, if needed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 12 slices whole-grain baguette (1/4 inch thick), warmed or toasted
All you do:
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl and let stand while you make the cheese spread.
- Combine cream cheese and blue cheese in a small bowl using a fork. Add water, if necessary, for a thick but spreadable consistency. Stir in 1 tablespoon chives and pepper.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture on each piece of baguette. Top with the sliced berries. Garnish with a sprinkle of chives, if desired.
Nutrition facts per serving: 66 calories, 2g fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 10g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 2g protein.
Source: adapted from Eating Well, Inc.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.