Looking for that perfect gift for dad this Father’s Day? They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, so why not feed your dad this Father’s Day with something that is good for his heart health as well? Your Hy-Vee dietitians suggest the new Angus Reserve steaks and a homemade steak rub for dad.
Not only do most dads love steak, but lean cuts of beef along with a balanced diet may be good for heart health. Choose cuts of beef such as top round steak or top sirloin to ensure the steak is lean.
Make your dad his own personalized dry steak rub. A rub is a combination of salt, pepper, sugar, herbs and spices. These mixtures are used to flavor meat, and unlike a marinade, the dry rub will form a crust on the exterior of the meat when grilled. The salt component of the rub will help draw out the juices in the steak, which results in a moister steak. When grilled, the sugar will caramelize and form a flavorful crust. Just about any cut of meat can be rubbed before going on the grill or into the smoker. Homemade rubs also help to control their sodium content.
Fill empty spice containers with your personalized rub for dad and decorate it just for him for the perfect Father’s Day gift - or add the spice rubs to a gift of grilling tools and Angus Reserve steaks. Get creative and mix ground espresso into your combination of spices or add dried ground chipotle peppers if your dad likes a lot of spice. Your dad will love a gift that came from the heart and is good for his heart. Stop by your local Hy-Vee and ask your dietitian for more dry rub recipes.
Orange Chipotle Dry Rub
All you need:
- 2 to 3 dried ground chipotle peppers, depending on your heat tolerance
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 ground bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry ground orange peel
All you do:
- Mix all ingredients together and apply liberally to steak, chicken, pork or fish.
All you need:
- 1/4 cup ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup finely ground espresso
- 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili de arbol powder
All you do:
- Mix all ingredients together and apply liberally to steak, chicken or pork.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.