Seafood is a delicious and easy way to improve and maintain your health, especially your heart health. The American Heart Association recommends consuming fish two times per week with servings of 3.5 ounces or about 3/4 cup of flaked fish. Fatty fish tend to be higher in omega-3 fatty acids which have several health benefits that may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, reduce inflammation and assist with brain function. These fish include:
- Albacore tuna
- Lake trout
Hy-Vee makes it easy for you to make these healthy choices. Hy-Vee is implementing a new Responsible Seafood Program by the end of 2015. Fish is caught or farmed in a manner that provides for its long-term viability while minimizing damage to the environment or other sea life. Hy-Vee is showing its commitment to secure the future seafood supply without harming ocean ecosystems or other marine life. Look for the label “Responsible Choice” at your Hy-Vee today.
Fish offer a good source of protein while having a low amount of saturated fat. Enjoy your fish in a variety of delicious, healthy ways:
- Marinate and grill in aluminum foil
- Use in tacos and casseroles instead of beef or chicken
- Use in sandwiches and salads for a lean protein
- Pan-fry in a small amount of olive oil with favorite herbs and seasonings
- Use in a stir-fry with your favorite vegetables
- Incorporate into a light pasta dish
- Use in your favorite soup and stew recipes
Dill Pickle Chips ‘N’ Tilapia
All you need:
- 1 cup crushed Hy-Vee dill pickle potato chips
- 4 (3- to 4-oz each) fresh tilapia fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place crushed chips in a medium bowl.
- Dip tilapia fillets into buttermilk; drain off excess buttermilk, then roll fillet in crushed chips. Place fillets on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Nutrition facts per serving: 180 calories, 6g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 45mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 22g protein.
Daily nutritional values: 0% vitamin A, 10% vitamin C, 2% calcium, 2% iron
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.