The beauty of this spicy pasta sauce is that it can be made with ingredients that can be kept on hand in the cupboard.
- 12 oz rigatoni, uncooked
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (425g) artichoke hearts, 15 ounces, drained
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, one 28-ounce can
- 2 Tbs capers, (or more)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped, optional
- Cook rigatoni in boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender. Add oregano and artichoke hearts and sir for one minute. Add tomatoes, capers and red wine and stir to break up the tomatoes into large pieces. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Add olives and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes more.
- Drain pasta and place in a serving bowl. Top with Puttanesca sauce and parsley if desired.
Calories from Fat 46 (15%)
(8%)Total Fat 5g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 57g
(29%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.