Bibb Lettuce Salad with Gorgonzola and Fresh Pear Dressing
Aromatic Bartlett pears are pureed into a sweet-tart dressing and crumbled Gorgonzola adds the perfect complement.
- 3 large ripe Bartlett pears, divided use
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh tarragon or scant 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1-2 Tbs cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2-3 heads Bibb lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 4 oz (1 cup) crumbed Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- Peel, core, and chop one pear. Place pear, 1/3 cup water, sugar, and tarragon in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until pear pieces are soft, about 5 minutes depending on ripeness of pear. Do not let all the water evaporate. There should be about 7/8 cup pear and liquid. Cool.
- Pour pear and liquid into a blender and blend until smooth. Add part of the vinegar and lemon juice to taste. Taste and adjust sugar and acid to make a sweet-tart dressing, adding a little water if needed to thin. Refrigerate until cold.
- Core and thinly slice remaining 2 pears. For each serving arrange 3-4 lettuce leaves on a salad plate. Top with 1/3 of a sliced pear, 2-3 tablespoons Gorgonzola and drizzle with 2 tablespoons dressing. Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 52 (29%)
(10%)Total Fat 6g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.