9/1/2014 - 9/30/2014
Type: Health & Wellness
Location: 95th Street Hy-Vee
Dietitian Pick of the Month: MontereyTM Sliced Baby Portabella Mushrooms!
5 Reasons to Choose Sliced Baby Portabellas:
1. Heartier mushroom flavor
2. Locally grown in the Midwest
3. Excellent source of riboflavin (for maintaining energy levels)
4. Good source of selenium (for protecting cells from damage) and copper (aiding in wound healing + healthy immune system)
5. Can convert the sun’s rays into vitamin D; provides 100% of recommended vitamin D intake in 1/2 cup
GRILLED MUSHROOM QUESADILLAS
Yield: 6 portions
Serving Size: 1 quesadilla
ALL YOU NEED:
2 pounds fresh MontereyTM Mushrooms baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
6 Flatout wraps
2 cups (around 8 ounces) shredded cheese, such as reduced-fat Cheddar and Monterey Jack, plus extra for garnish
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
6 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
Salsa verde and diced tomatoes, for garnish
ALL YOU DO:
1. Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side.
3. Add salt, flip mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, until other side is same color.
1. While mushrooms cook, assemble quesadillas; distribute half the cheeses and all avocado slices on left half of six tortillas.
2. When mushrooms are done, distribute mushrooms and cilantro leaves, if desired, among tortillas and top with remaining cheese.
3. Fold tortilla in half and grill or warm in skillet until cheese begins to melt, then flip to cook other side.
4. Transfer to cutting board, cut into wedges and serve with salsa verde, tomatoes and additional cheese.
Nutrition facts per serving: 400 calories, 22 g total fat, 7 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 17 g protein, 33 g total carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber. Source: Adapted from MontereyTM Mushrooms
Stop over at your 95th Street Hy-Vee produce department to grab some fresh MontereyTM Mushrooms baby portabella mushrooms!