Help Bring Hy-Vee To Fitchburg
Hy-Vee, one of the nation’s most innovative regional supermarket chains, has announced plans to build a new 85,000-square-foot store in the Orchard Pointe shopping center in Fitchburg.
The proposed Hy-Vee store will be located next to Target on the west side of Highway 151/Verona Road in Fitchburg. If you’ve been to our store in Madison – or any of the 235 Hy-Vee stores located in eight Midwestern states – you already know Hy-Vee is a full-service supermarket dedicated to providing shoppers with quality, value, convenience and superior customer service. If you’ve never visited one of our stores, take a look at what we have to offer:
- A food court with dining area
- Pharmacy with drive-up service
- A HealthMarket offering natural and organic products and foods for special dietary needs
- The services of a staff dietitian and a chef
- A wine & spirits store
- Caribou Coffee outlet
- Hy-Vee Club Room for classes and meetings
- And much, much more!
Hy-Vee’s plans require approval by city government
Hy-Vee’s plans for the Fitchburg store go before the city’s Plan Commission on November 15th. The Plan Commission will make a recommendation to the Common Council, which will act on Hy-Vee’s request at its November 22nd meeting.
If you support the project, we need you to make your feelings known. Attend the Plan Commission and Common Council meetings this month … contact the Mayor and Alders … and spread the word to other Fitchburg residents. Read on to find out more!
Hy-Vee + Fitchburg = Partners in Progress
A few members of the City staff have expressed opposition to Hy-Vee’s plans to build a store at Orchard Pointe. Some staff members would prefer to have a different type of retailer at that location, and they’re concerned that the traffic that would be generated by a Hy-Vee store exceeds the traffic levels originally envisioned for that site.
Hy-Vee appreciates the concerns of City staff and has proposed steps that can be taken to address their concerns. We hired an independent traffic engineering firm to conduct a traffic study in the Orchard Pointe area as part of our normal review process, and at the request of City. The study found that the installation of street and signal improvements will allow the roadways and intersections to accommodate the anticipated Hy-Vee traffic, and Hy-Vee is willing to pay for these improvements. The addition of a Hy-Vee at Orchard Pointe offers many benefits for the city of Fitchburg and its residents, including:
- Hy-Vee provides a new type of shopping experience for Fitchburg residents. Although we sell some of the same products found at Target and Aldi (two other retailers at Orchard Pointe), our stores differ significantly from theirs in terms of services and amenities. We’re confident all three stores can co-exist and be successful at Orchard Pointe.
- A new Hy-Vee store represents a substantial addition to the property tax base in Fitchburg, which will help the City recoup expenses it incurred in developing the Orchard Pointe area.
- A Hy-Vee store of the size planned for Fitchburg will create 400 or more new jobs, with around 100 of those jobs being full-time positions with benefits. In addition, Hy-Vee has earned a reputation as an employer of choice for high school and college students and others seeking part-time jobs with flexible schedules and an outstanding work environment.
- Building the store will generate construction jobs in the area.
- The Hy-Vee project will provide a much-needed boost to the Orchard Pointe project, a large portion of which remains vacant after five years. The proposed Hy-Vee site, in particular, has not been successful in attracting retail interest over the past five years. With the addition of a Hy-Vee at Orchard Pointe, other retailers will view it as a more desirable location, and more growth should follow.
- Hy-Vee stores are good neighbors. In communities large and small throughout the Midwest, Hy-Vee makes lives easier, healthier and happier by supporting the projects and causes that are important to residents.
How can residents help bring Hy-Vee to Fitchburg?
We need residents of Fitchburg to contact their elected officials and send a message: We want a Hy-Vee store at Orchard Pointe! To counter the objections of City staff, the Mayor and the Aldermen and Alderwomen need to know there is widespread support among citizens for locating a Hy-Vee store in the community.
Here’s what you can do to show your support:
- Attend the Plan Commission meeting on Tuesday, November 15 at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 5520 Lacy Road in Fitchburg. There will be a public hearing during which Fitchburg citizens can speak in favor of the Hy-Vee project.
- Attend the Common Council meeting on Tuesday, November 22 at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall. The Council will act on the Plan Commission recommendation, and again, there will be a public hearing during which citizens can express their support for a Hy-Vee in Fitchburg.
- Contact the Mayor and the Aldermen and Alderwomen on the Common Council to let them know you want a Hy-Vee in your community.
- Spread the word! Contact your family, friends and neighbors in Fitchburg and let them know their support is vital to making the Hy-Vee project a reality. Send them the link to the Help Bring Hy-Vee to Fitchburg! page and encourage them to call, email and attend the meetings as well.
- Check the Facebook page often for updates – we’ll keep you informed of new developments and let you know what else can be done to help bring Hy-Vee to Fitchburg.
Thanks for your support! We hope to be your neighbor soon!