- 4 grams fiber in every tablespoon
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- May help with blood glucose control, weight management, digestive health, cancer prevention and heart health
Sprinkle or Stir
Chia into these foods to boost fiber, protein and antioxidants.
- Tomato or vegetable juice
- Peanut butter
Fruity Refrigerator Oatmeal
All you need:
- 1⁄2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, or fruit of your choice
All you do:
- Add oats, yogurt, milk and chia seeds to a pint-sized Mason jar or 2-cup storage container with plastic lid. Stir ingredients together. Top with fruit.
- Cover and let stand in refrigerator overnight. Serve cold.
Nutrition per serving: 370 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 trans fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 22 g sugar, 23 g protein. Vitamin a 6%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 35%, iron 15%.
Source: The Yummy life blog, www.theyummylife.com
View the entire May HealthyBites newsletter