Replacing muscle fuel (glycogen) after exercise is essential to an athlete’s recovery. Low-fat chocolate milk has been shown in studies to be an effective exercise recovery drink due to its powerful nutrient package.
- Natural source of essential amino acids – building blocks for protein – which are needed for building and repairing muscle tissues
- The right carb-to-protein ratio scientifically shown to refuel and rebuild tired muscles
- Vitamin A, which supports a healthy immune system and good vision
- Electrolytes (sodium, potassium and other minerals), which are lost through sweat and must be replenished after exercise
- B vitamins, available to help muscles metabolize food energy into fuel
- Fluids, working to rehydrate the body and prevent dehydration
- A leading source of calcium and vitamin D to help build and maintain healthy bones.
Get the most energy back into your muscles by refueling 15 to 30 minutes after your workout and again two hours later. Refuel with low-fat or fat-free milk post-exercise:
- Sip on a cold glass of milk
- Blend fruit, ice and milk into a smoothie
- Top cereal or granola with milk.
All you need:
- 1 cup low-fat chocolate milk
- 1/4 cup frozen Hy-Vee sliced strawberries, thawed, drained
- 1 banana, frozen, then peeled
- Ice cubes, optional
All you do:
- Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving: 270 calories, 3g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 7.5mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate, 39g sugar, 5g fiber, 9g protein.
Daily nutritional values: 12% vitamin A, 57% vitain A, 30% calcium, 75% iron
Talk to a Hy-Vee dietitian for more information. The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.