Here in the Midwest we know hydration is crucial during the hot, humid summer months. It is no problem to gulp down a glass of ice-cold water during those high-temperature months, but what about the winter months? During cold weather, it is just as important to keep hydrated. Consider your winter activities. Does snow skiing or shoveling snow come to mind? Intense activities like these require proper hydration.
Water is essential for our body to function. Being well-hydrated lubricates joints, helps move nutrients in the body and maintains body temperature to name a few. Checking urine color is one way to tell if you are hydrated. If urine is colorless or a pale yellow, you are probably well-hydrated.
Consider these tips to keep hydrated all year long:
- Carry a reusable plastic bottle with you
- Look for zero-calorie flavored beverages such as Vitamin Water Zero
- Beverages such as Smartwater in larger bottles may help increase water consumption
- During the cold months, try warm drinks such as a lower-calorie cocoa mix or hot tea
- Add strawberries, lemon or cucumbers to your water for natural flavor
- Add a Hy-Vee Thirst Splasher or True Lemon packet to a bottle of water for a burst of flavor
- Certain foods, such as broth-based soups, milk and melons also contribute to fluid intake
All you need:
- *1 (20 oz) bottle go-go mixed berry Vitamin Water Zero™
- 1 cup Coke Zero™ or Spite Zero™
All you do:
- Pour vitaminwater into an ice cube tray. Freeze at least 4 hours.
- Place 2-3 ice cubes in glass. Serve topped with Sprite Zero or Coke Zero.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 0 g calories, 0g fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 0 g protein. 0% vitamin A, 25% vitamin C, 0% calcium, 0% iron
*Make the ice cubes using your favorite Vitamin Water Zero™ flavor.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.