The field of 18 is nearly set for the 2012 Hy-Vee Cake Designer Challenge, March 28 in West Des Moines.
Three finalists from each of six regional contests will be selected to compete in what has quickly become one of the industry’s premier events.
A total of 155 Hy-Vee cake designers entered the 2012 challenge. They have three hours to decorate one dozen cookies, two sheet cakes, 24 cupcakes and a feature cake, using a theme of their choosing. Popular movies, literature, sports, hobbies, even the company they work for, have all served as inspiration.
The defending champion is two-time winner Katie O’Connor of Lincoln, NE. O’Connor will make a fourth attempt at the final round when she squares off against 27 challengers at the Council Bluffs, IA, regional event March 8 at Mall of the Bluffs.
The finals winner will receive $1,000 and an all-expenses paid trip to the International Dairy Deli Bakery Association annual meeting in New Orleans. An extra $500 goes to the finalist who wins the Decorator’s Choice Award.
The field so far:
- Melanie DeKeyerel Bell, Peoria, IL. She earned a second straight trip to the finals by winning the regional competition in Davenport, IA.
- Sally Fraise, Sycamore, IL. She was second in Davenport.
- Juanita Razo, Peru, IL. Third in Davenport.
- Kristin Ennis, Cedar Rapids, IA. She won the Mason City, IA, regional.
- Janine Schwendinger of Rochester, MN., She was the runner-up in Mason City.
- Kassie Mather of Cedar Rapids. Third in Mason City.
- Amber Rahe of Mankato, MN. The 2010 Challenge champ took the Sioux Falls, SD, regional.
- MacKenzie Scott of Sioux Falls. She was second in Sioux Falls
- Sheree George of Sioux Falls. Third in Sioux Falls.
All have earned a trip to the championship round at Jordan Creek Town Center in West Des Moines.
Here are the remaining regional contests
- Today – West Des Moines regional, Jordan Creek Town Center
- March 6 – Kansas City, MO, regional, Independence Center
- March 8 – Council Bluffs regional, Mall of the Bluffs